+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best fish finder for $1000.00 ?

Best fish finder for $1000.00 ?

It would be for offshore and inshore. Also are the transducers that go inside your boat any good ?

Re: Best fish finder for $1000.00 ?

Not sure about "best" fish finder, but I like the Garmin Chartplotters. I've had two different ones, both are discontinued models now (one complaint I have is that Garmin routinely discontinues models quickly). One (a model 2006c) had a 6 inch color screen, the other (model 3010) has a 10 inch screen. Both are easy to use, robust, and have bright screens. The chartplotter feature is nice if you plan to go offshore, since it shows you where you are at and where the bottom contours should be. You can likely pick up a used one (2006c) for under $1000.

These both had external transducers, however, I have a small fiberglass runabout boat with an old Hummingbird fishfinder which has an internal transducer. Never had any issue with the internal mounting. You need to follow instructions with installation (clean surface, no air gaps, and obviously install it in the bilge where you only have one solid layer of fiberglass separating the transducer from the water).

i think the furuno 585 is pretty versatile with the airmar thruhull flush mount transdeucer.takes a big hole but they work well.especially if you trailer the boat you cant knock em off.

Thanks for the help. I think I will get A furuno. Has anyone had any exsperience with shoot thru transducers?

Wes..........I have the 546s Garmin. I'm pleased with this model and would recomend it......It takes you to the WP down to 20 feet and structure stands out well on the color display....on sale at west marine
    Fish too much?....Can't be done!

Hard to argue with Furuno 620 and I studied it hard. I had a Furuno 582C LCD on my last boat it was nothing short of phenomenal but a little pricey and now dated.

Replaced an older Garmin 320C color unit on my boat last year and bought a Lowrance HDS 5x from BOE for $499, no tax, and free shipping. Could not be beat at the time. It's a hell of a sonar unit and I have had zero troubles. I didn't want a combo unit but the bigger versions are very nice.

Furuno or Garmin customer service is superior.
    Last edited by Ridgerunner; 04-06-2011 at 06:41 AM.

I had the Furuno with the thru hull transducer on my old Grady and it worked great. In fact, I still have the unit less the transducer. If you are interested, email me at grady268@aol.com.

Thanks for the info. The 620 only comes in 600w, is that enough for deeper water for something like tilefish?

Mine is a model 667 and has dual frequencies. It was great for bottome fishing and canyon fishing. Never let me down.

Well I ended up getting A si-tec 650. from what I could find out it is A little better than the furuno 620 but $150.00 cheaper. I wanted the furuno 585 but could not swing $2000.00

+ Reply to Thread