+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boat/trailer title transfer?????

Boat/trailer title transfer?????

hello, i just this Grumman 19' boat and trailer, the owner was from MD and i need to transfer it to Del, the boat is easy, But the trailer might be a problem, i have the title,the owner signed it correct and all, but im planning on taking it to DMV tomorrow, and i can seem to find the vin# on the trailer anywhere?? its on the title but i cant seem to locate it on the trailer, there is a label on the inside frame, but you cant see anything, whatever was on there is gone?? what do i need to do, i was told the state police have to do something?? any info would be helpful, thanks

Re: Boat/trailer title transfer?????

You shouldn't have to take the trailer to DMV at all.. Just take the title and have it switch, delaware doesn't require trailers to go through inspection unless they have a GVW over a certain weight... If you have no title for a trailer but has a vin number that is when you have to take it over when the state police are there (like 2 times month) they run the vin and make sure it isn't reported stolen then they give you a new title for it!!! Also Delaware requires a notarized bill of sale.. So make sure you and the seller goes somewhere together and have it notarized then you can take the notarized bill of sale and have it switched, or both buyer and seller can go to any boat place that transers/issues delaware reg. cards and can do it with out a notarized bill of sale, it doesn't matter if you have signed title for a maryland boat or not!! I hope this helps and I hope all info is correct
    Last edited by albemarle305; 11-10-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Same thing happened to me. Get a punch set and stamp the VIN# on the top of the tongue so that the DMV guy can see it easily.

Albemarle-Since the trailer was out of state, it has to go thru inspection. After that, no inspection is required.
    Last edited by budkyle; 11-10-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    When seconds count, 9-1-1 is minutes away...

budkyle, where would i get a punch set?? is this hard to do??

Seaswirl,, just went through this with my trailer that I bought in Md. The VIN has to be verified as Scott because it's coming in from out of state. Call the state police barracks that's near the DMV & ask them when they are doing VIN checks again,, I think its on a Thurs. Take your signed MD title,, the state police will run the title for any problems,, if OK, they will stamp a VIN # on the trailer there. I did not have my trailer inspected at that time as it needed all new breaks, DMV issued me a U-title just to get it titled in our name,,, I'll take it back this spring for inspection & register. Also,, police told me NOT to put a bogus tag from another trailer on it,, said the fine is more for a wrong tag than no tag,,, said if stopped explain where you are going, show the title & they SHOULD let you go!! At DMV, they asked for a bill of sale, I didn't have one but they processed it just the same.. Also, the state was set up in an inspection lane on the far left,,They were very helpful & friendly!!,,, Hope this helps,,, Jim
    Last edited by mr.breeze; 11-10-2011 at 06:25 PM.
    Proud parents of a US. Soldier. 15 years & still going!

It's been years ago but my trailer had no VIN # either.I bought the trailer from a guy in PA and all the paperwork was correct. At the time after not finding VIN stamped anywhere the DMV employee put a "Delaware Special VIN Plate" ,which is basically a sticker, on the trailer tongue.The sticker has a state control# and the trailer vehicles VIN # stamped on it.Amazingly the sticker is still on it after all these years.You could try calling motor v and see if this is still how they handle these issues.If you decide to stamp it on Harbor Freight has the stamps fairly cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...esult?q=stamps

is this legal, to just stamp it on there?? does it need to be in a certain spot?? its a galvanized trailer, will that make a difference on the visibility??

Its Veterans Day no state offices are open! Go get the stamp kit from Harbor Freight and use and return it
    Relax, Smile, Wet a Line and Have a Cold One!

Seaswirl,, I suggest you check with the state police before stamping,,, coming from out of state, the trailer has to be vin checked first,, when they stamped mine, they issued it a new VIN number with the new title,,, you might be wasting time stamping the old vin# onto it,,, JMO
    Proud parents of a US. Soldier. 15 years & still going!

ok thanks,Mr Breeze, i will do that.

by looking at your location, i think you need to reg your trailer in pa.. the boat can be reg in delaware but not the trailer??
    steve_d.

The state police in Georgetown (catty corner to the DMV complex) will stamp the VIN# on the frame for you! Matter of fact they insisted that they do it when I asked about it. One could just about read my VIN# so they stamped the number on the frame so that it was now easy to see by all!
    " Tight Lines and Fair Winds"

Mike

reefrunner, was your trailer from Del?? i bought this from a seller in MD

I bought the trailer from a man in PA when I lived in MD. I titled the trailer in DE when I moved here. This year when I had it inspected they had trouble finding/reading the VIN# on the plastic card glued to the trailer. I told the inspector that I was going to stamp the Vin# on the frame and he insisted that the State Police had to do that and he gave me the phone number of the officer who would do the stamping. If yo call the State Police Barricks in Georgetown, I'm sure they will tell you what you need to do.
    " Tight Lines and Fair Winds"

Mike

You are going to want to title that trailer in PA if you reside in PA. Spend the money and go to one of the license/auto tag places, or if you know a real friendly notary that's a huge bonus. Trust me.

i have a home in Delaware, and Pa, unfortunately!! i will call the state police and see what they say first, thanks

For what it is worth when I bought my boat and trailer the boat I kept registered in DE while the trailer is registered in PA. All I did was took the trailer title to the notary with a notarized bill of sale and they transfered it. No check on the trailer Vin.

Bill of sale,yes====my wife sold me a boat one time ==imagine that.It raised some eyebrows but no rejection.
    BB

I have done it a few times and its always a pain in the arse. The last boat trailer I had that came from out of state was from Texas and it was a mess. The clerk who transfered thr paperwork in texas wrote a 1 for an L or somthing stupid and I had to take the trailer back to the dmv on two different occasions. Wait for the Texas agent to redo the paperwork and send up it wasn't worth all of the hassle. Good luck I hope it works out well for you.

+ Reply to Thread