+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SPRING flouder chase is starting soon...

SPRING flouder chase is starting soon...

I am planning on spending every weekend from mid-april to late may in Lewes chasing flounder and some rock fish from the kayak. This is a preliminary note to test the waters and see if there are any other fisherman in yaks who would like to plan some trips around Lewes together. I am familiar with the usual haunts, but enjoy learning from others.

I would love to learn to live-line or use live bait with someone. To this point I've focused on gulp and stripped blue fish bellies when they are a side catch.

The mild winter and early spring might bring an early bite. Lets get on them!

Re: SPRING flouder chase is starting soon...

I have a trip planned for early/mid May. In the Spring I do most of my flounder fishing from shore, but I might bring the yak.
    tight lines

Count me in for at least one of those weekends as long is its not too snotty but don't look for too much knowledge from me. My track record speaks for itself. I do have a spot that I would like to try minnows that I have obtained from a reliable source. I'm aslo in for a trip to the wall for a little tog.

If anyone lives along my route down I'd be happpy top pick ya up and split fuel costs. Anywhere from the 19015 zip code area south. I think the fuel costs are going to keep me from making many trips unless I find a way to carpool.

yesterday after work wind against tide, heavy heavy damp fog but manage 1

Quote Originally Posted by albemarle305 View Post
    yesterday after work wind against tide, heavy heavy damp fog but manage 1
    Way to get 'em. I'm fishing somewhere tomorrow and will have a report to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by chirotrout View Post
    I am planning on spending every weekend from mid-april to late may in Lewes chasing flounder and some rock fish from the kayak. This is a preliminary note to test the waters and see if there are any other fisherman in yaks who would like to plan some trips around Lewes together. I am familiar with the usual haunts, but enjoy learning from others.

I would love to learn to live-line or use live bait with someone. To this point I've focused on gulp and stripped blue fish bellies when they are a side catch.

The mild winter and early spring might bring an early bite. Lets get on them!

I don't think many yakkers around here use live baits except to snag and drop bunker for stripers, mostly in Jersey though. I've used eels before off the yak but with no luck. Those things stay alive forever! Don't need a live well for them. For flounder I use gulp and strip baits - croaker and spot can be stripped out too. I've tried to catch and use live spot but the ones I catch on H & L are usually too big and they don't stay alive too well in a minnow bucket. I have heard of people using live blues for big flounder but I've never tried it. Good luck if you try to live line baits, let us know how you do.

So chirotrout, you're in Reston huh? I live in Culpeper. Not nearly close enough to the beach.
    tight lines

I used to catch spot then live line them for stripers at night around the pier, but that was back in the day when the lights were on at the end. Ed, good luck if you go tomorrow, Im off next week if you have some free time, i want to splash the yak, my neighbor did well two days ago on tog at the outer wall

When ya going again?

Pretty sure Ill be there this weekend. The weather forecast seems to change daily. If the wind stays low and the thunderstorms away...IM THERE! Any news on if the flounder have arrived in number yet?

Not so much numbers from what i've heard, heard outgoing has been better also. You have a number to text? Id like to get out this weekend also, you launching from cape hene?

Basstracker and I will be floating the Lewes canal on Sat morning from 8:30 to around 2. If anyone else is available feel free to join us. PM me for the meet up location.

How did you guys do?

Our timing got screwed up, he only went for about 45 minutes since no hits, we met up later that night at indian river inlet to fish the wall for stripers, i got a small short and a bunch of shad after i moved to bubblegum beach, not sure how he did as he was on a point packed with people I could get no where near.

Two short flounder at the pier at night at CHSP. Water was the dirtiest i have ever seen and saw no keeper caught. Sat afternoon and night went to IRI and literally had the best seat in the house for the striper show. I managed to hook up with one and turned it only to have my line break at the rod tip due to 6 tangled lines from neighboring fisherman. I saw some nice fish caught by several people. On a side note things have changed since last time I was in a crowded fishing situation like IRI during a Striper run. I literally was hit in the face with a 8 inch swim bait...had two people cut my line to free theirs...had people stand on top of me and cast and finally cast over me while I am fighting a fish. I had to leave while the fish were biting because due to frustration and not wanting to hit someone.

Thanks to BassTracker for the intel and look forward to getting on the water together some time.

Wow!!! I've seen it bad there but not that bad. One thing I can't tolorate is people who jepordize my safety to catch a fish and cating over my head is unaccpetable.

I had similar luck with the flounder over the weekend, they just weren't cooperating. The water was dirty everywhere and the wind didn't help. Did manage one nice striper from shore, but other than that it was slow. Didn't even bring the yak.
    tight lines

I live right by bluff point on RB, so went out saturday for a few hours, first two hours, nothing, got a crab, and lost about an 11'' flounder yakside, threw down the anchor on one of my normal spots, saw someone catch about a 15'' on a live minnow, i caught 3 30+lb cownose rays.... Boy were the sleigh rides fun! I had pontoons, jon boats, and even the coast gaurd boat watching me. 2 on charteuse gulp swimming mullet, the other on fresh bluefish.

Bluff point was CLEAN, our canal infront of our house was dirty but once i got out to the bay it was easy 4+ foot of visibility in that area.

+ Reply to Thread