+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fluid Bed Question/Comments

Fluid Bed Question/Comments

I built a 2" and 3" fluid bed yesterday the 2" works great the 3" works so so ! I want the 3" for larger jig heads so I need to put a deep enough amount of powder for the larger heads. My question is does anyone else use a 3" style and what size pump do you use. I got the cheaper/smaller pump for up to a 10 gal tank if I get a larger pump I wonder if that would help.

Re: Fluid Bed Question/Comments

Are you using the same pump for both? The bigger the diameter the more air you need. Are you using the same pump for both?
    That's all she wrote.

Yes I am using the same pump for both and my gut feeling is that a larger pump might be needed for the larger bed

I made a 3 inch and I agree it works so so . I am not sure what size pump I have but I am going to make a 2" this week.

I use a 20 gal + size pump. Under $20 if I remember right. A couple of my cups are 5" high. What you use for filter material also can cause you issues. I never tried the coffee filters. I used a plain ole brown paper lunch bag, put some caulk on the bottom of the PVC pipe, and sit it on the paper bag with a brick of lead on it to hold it tight. Let it dry for a day and used a razor blade to trim off the extra. Make sure you don't use the seam part of the bag. I tried the full size grocery bags... to thick. I've heard of some that use vacume cleaner bags, and that black material you put down for weed control. I can vouch for any of those either. If you want the "right" filter material, google "TJ's Tackle". Send him an e-mail and he will sell some of the good stuff for a filter. Different powders will react differently. I have the hardest time getting the pink to "flow" right.
    Also, some powders flow better when the cup is as full as you can get it.

My fluid bed is different than the one in the video, no screw in cups.

ARE THESE PUMPS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT,AQUARIUM PUMPS?

Yes it is an aquarium pump, the 2" works great but not quite big/deep enough for the 1oz and up ultra minnow. Gonna try a larger pump on my 3" one.

I am almost thinking about trying my pancake air compressor hooked up to the 3" one!
    fluid bed.jpg

You can see there is a fairly large difference between the 2" and the 3" one I built

A pancake compressor would work well with a good regulator, and myself, I would want a moisture trap on it. Water and powder paint don't go well together. I'll have to take a pic of my fluid bed. Mine is not near as high as the ones you are making. Mine is the 3" end cap, and the 3" pipe seated right into that. I just have 4-5 cups to store the different colors.

Gofish, stop over in the evening after 6:30 this week and take a look. I'll pm you my address.

I have a pancake compressor and I was thinking that between the regulator on the compressor and the valve that is pluged into the pvc, you should be ble to regulate the air flow.

i know this may sound stupid but what is a fluid bed

Back in the day, many years ago, I worked for a company where we made the coating powder. We used about a 3" diameter pipe as our fluid bed. We used the thin cardboard sheet that is found on the back of tablets, like on legal pads. We used plant supplied air, regulated down to 5/10 psi, depending on powder depth. Paper bags wouldn't last.

Coffee filter seems to be holding up so far but I wondered about a more durable filter. something plastic or also thought about somthing like Gortex or a fabric

2 tone.jpg2 tone bucktail.jpg
    My heads are turning out nice since using the fluid bed, they are definatley smoother that dipping in the jar, I am dusting with a small paint brush to get the 2 tone effect, it is work well !
    Last edited by gofish; 05-02-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by walters_ark View Post
    Back in the day, many years ago, I worked for a company where we made the coating powder. We used about a 3" diameter pipe as our fluid bed. We used the thin cardboard sheet that is found on the back of tablets, like on legal pads. We used plant supplied air, regulated down to 5/10 psi, depending on powder depth. Paper bags wouldn't last.
    I've had the paper bags on for over a year now, and at least 700 jigs. There is a big difference between using a fluid bed to powder coat some jigs, and using one every day, all day for a job.

Gofish, those look great!
    Last edited by blt; 05-02-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Denny they are looking good.
    That's all she wrote.

Hopefully, next year for LureFest 2013 you would consider donating, perhaps, some of your works of art as a Raffle Prize? Hint. Hint. Hint...... Another reason we used the tablet cardboard was that we used Acetone to rinse out the pipe between samples. We needed to get pipe clean, as we were doing color matching as well as checking coatings for possible contaminants. Critical colors needed to have EXACT matches. And when we would make batches in the 4000 to 5000 lb range, we had to be SPOT-ON.

Quote Originally Posted by gofish View Post
    Coffee filter seems to be holding up so far but I wondered about a more durable filter. something plastic or also thought about somthing like Gortex or a fabric

Attachment 6290Attachment 6291
    My heads are turning out nice since using the fluid bed, they are definatley smoother that dipping in the jar, I am dusting with a small paint brush to get the 2 tone effect, it is work well !

They look nice !!!

They are lookin good Man!
    Fish too much?....Can't be done!

+ Reply to Thread